My Fitness

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

jesse tree 2017

( I feel like this is an appropriate day to start writing this entry. It's October as I write this and we are finally having some snow/hail. I'm not sure what to call it. Hailflakes maybe?)

We've never done a Jesse Tree. Do you know who Jesse is?

Ruth married Boaz and they had a son named Obed. Obed's son is Jesse. Jesse is Ruth's grandson.

Why is he important?

Meanwhile, Eli was a priest with two worthless men for sons. He saw a gal named Hannah praying for a son. She had Samuel and gave him to Eli to raise as a priest in service to God. Samuel was godly.

Samuel went to Jesse's house as God told him to do. Jesse had eight sons. Samuel thought one of the older seven might be the next king. But God does not look at the outward appearance as even a mighty prophet of God might do and as Samuel did, God looks at the heart. And God had chosen a man after his own heart, Jesse's 8th son, David. Read the story in 1 Samuel 16:7.

Jesse and David are used to prophesy the coming Messiah:
There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, Isaiah 11:1
Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, Jeremiah 23:5
And we see their names in Jesus's lineage:

Since Jesse is supposed to have a branch come out of him, I'm guessing that someone decided a tree was appropriate. Jesse's branch leads to Jesus and advent leads to Christmas, and thus someone came up with the advent calendar known as a Jesse Tree. (I'm guessing here. I've never done a history of the Jesse Tree.)

Last year after Christmas I found some clearance items and got everything for my Jesse Tree for like less than $5. My raw materials are a light-up "tree", some advent ornaments, and Jesus storybook Bible printables. I downloaded my printables a long time ago from THIS site.

If I hadn't found this tree, I might have used a piece of green construction paper cut in a triangle and taped to the wall. How "pinterest" a thing doesn't matter. I like this tree that I found because it reminds me of Charlie Brown. Cheapest is best in my mind. 


Here is at least the reading plan via FaithGateway:

My ornaments from Target are 3" circles. Whatever you get can be altered to work. Let me see what you come up with! You could very easily print or write the corresponding date on the back of each picture. Or glue it to card stock, or old Christmas cards, or laminate them. Here's one I did previously...it was fun!

I printed my Jesus Storybook Bible pictures at FedEx because I only have a black and white printer. It cost $3.25 to print 4 colored pages. I glued the advent numbers to the back of each corresponding advent picture and then attached each to the true with the included mini clothespins. 

Starting December 1, we will read the corresponding story out of Jesus Storybook Bible and put the ornament on the tree. Christmas Eve, our tree should look something like this:
Final Tree



No comments:

Post a Comment