My Fitness

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

why "noah"

I started reading a Bible plan that I believe is the entire Bible in a year in chronological order. I think timeline is important and much of the Bible is dependent on the reader knowing what's going on at the time of the writing and what the culture of that day is and other time-relevant issues. I started reading The Amplified Bible because I thought it would be nice to hear the same stories in a different tone. And it's been amazing.

This morning I read Genesis 4, 5, 6, and 7. That's about Seth to Noah. In 5:29 it says, "He [Lamech] named him Noah, saying, This one shall bring us relief and comfort from our work and the (grievous) toil of our hands due to the ground being cursed by the Lord." It sounds like Lamech thinks the Noah is the promised relief from Genesis 3, "He will bruise and tread your head underfoot..." and note the smilier language about the earth: "the ground is under a curse because of you; in sorrow and toil shall you eat of it all the days of your life." When I read Lamech's words I was thinking perhaps he thinks Noah is the promised savior. Why would he think that? How would he have known what was said to Adam so many years ago?

Naturally I decided to write up a timeline. Maybe there's one already drawn somewhere but I decided that I should do one myself. What I discovered was that Adam died over 50 years after Lamech was born. That means Lamech heard the story of God cursing the ground first-hand from Adam. It wasn't passed down generation-to-generation-to-generation-wait-for-it-to-generation-etc. In fact Adam's son Seth died 5 years before Noah was born. It's 10 generations from Adam to Noah but Noah's father knew the original Man.

The name Noah means "comfort" or "rest". And this whole discussion reminds me of another post I wrote once about the Gospel in the Old Testament. So Lamech knew the whole Gospel and looked to the future for that rest. He thought the ultimate rest from the curse he heard about from Adam would be finished with Noah. In one regard Noah was a savior. Noah was a type (as in a picture) of Christ.

What else did I discover from the timeline (especially the death line)? Noah's grandfather, Methuselah, died the same year as the flood and maybe in it. Noah's father, Lamech, died right before the flood and certainly after the ark had been built.

Genealogies are interesting.

It doesn't have to be pretty to share info. 

No comments:

Post a Comment