My Fitness

Thursday, August 24, 2017

what's with all this labor

It seems that I am especially special regarding labor and delivery. As I composed that sentence I was joking but then it got me thinking that maybe the specialness is that I have a message to deliver and not just a Baby.

Each of my 5 pregnancies has ended this way: terribly convincing bouts of false labor that last all day and then suddenly stop. With Zoë this happened for 5-6 weeks. With Caleb, my first, it happened for 2 weeks and then went into a 72 hour real labor. I do not know of a single other woman who has had this much false labor.

People tell me to take heart because these bouts of labor are accomplishing something. But they aren't. They are a waste of energy and time and carry nothing but false hope for deliverance.

So why does it exist then?

I'm sure medical science will figure it out eventually. In the meantime we'll have to settle for the real reason: it's a warning that the end is coming and you need to get ready.

This us my fifth baby. I'm ready. We have not only everything we need

(all the requested items and our cradle with baby clothes for either gender and blankets)









but we do not have any of the things we know we will not need.
(no seriously. This $30 thermometer will tell you if your baby's room is too hot or cold. Felipe was convinced we needed this with our first.)



But I still used the time wisely. I need to get this house ready to sell. Even though I felt like I wasted the day just existing in pain and accomplishing nothing, as soon as the mini-war was over I got three bedrooms and a bathroom ready for the end sale.

I was pretty angry. Was God being mean to me? Unkind? Or maybe my body just doesn't work correctly. And then Felipe reminded me that Jesus spoke about end times being like a woman in labor. In Matthew 24:8 Jesus says, "All these are but the beginning of the birth pains." And then in verse 13, "But the one who endures to the end will be saved...and then the end will come."

I knew that he'd say that too but it wasn't until he actually said it that I heard it. There have often been times when I tell my friends what they already know to help them solidify the truth in the hearts. Their heads, my head, already knows but sometimes it takes someone else saying it for it to get past our ears.

I immediately felt better. I'm here for a purpose and that's to proclaim the gospel of Jesus so prepare yourself to be evangelized. Here I go.

Just like labor pains intensify and die away in waves of horror so do wars and earthquakes and supremacy movements and crazy people who think they're like gods. These are given to us to serve as warnings that the end is coming. To the non-Christian it's of little use. To the Christian it's a reminder of your calling.

The calling is to let people know that God created things to be good. Sin entered through people's will. Sin separates us from God. We are tainted and He is pure. He has made a way for us to be pure. That way is through the sacrifice of Someone who is already pure. You will not find that Person anywhere but in Jesus. He lead the perfect life and died a criminal death accepting the sins of all mankind. He then rose from the dead and is readying heaven for those who believe and repent. If you can see yourself as less than perfect then you will need Someone who is perfect to get you to heaven. If you do not exist in heaven, you will have an eternal death in hell. Once you repent of sinning and decide to follow Jesus you will find joy in every difficulty. And you will find plenty of difficulty. This decision to follow Jesus is not a fairy tale ending. It's just the beginning of the best and most epic adventure ever. It is not for wimps or quitters. The Bible literally says we will need to fight.

Remember the story of the dishonest manager? He saw his end coming and made preparations. Jesus said that he was more intelligent than his own people who just sit around accepting their fate and the fate of others. Instead, look out at the crops of souls and see that they are ready to be harvested. Have compassion on them. He is sending us out to labor in his harvest. I am literally laboring as I labor in his harvest...yes, contractions have started again but don't tell Felipe because he said that they would and I didn't believe him.

After all whats the point of a Christian being in pain unless she can use it to point others toward Christ? I wrote previously about reading through 1 Peter and it becomes relevant again:
1:6-7 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith -more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
3:14-17 But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, not be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are wandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.
4:12-13, 16-17  Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed...Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
So there you have the real reason for my labor pains. My false labor is serving as a reminder to preach the gospel to my friends and family who are heading to hell. It might seem nice to just "live and let live" but what kind of a friend would willingly let another suffer? That's no friend. My life is not my own. I am not from a kingdom on this world. And my King has asked me to be an ambassador for Him finding His other lost children. If that is you, let me know. We have a lot to talk about!

Ephesians 5:15-16:
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.
 Any day not used to serve the Lord is evil. How dare I say this day of false labor was a waste of time and energy. How foolish! If I had been wise I would have used the day to meditate on the goodness of God and pray for my brothers and sisters who haven't returned to their King and Father yet. So I use my husband's gentle and kind reminder to now look carefully how I walk (and labor) and try to make best use of even this time.

I had been embarrassed about all the false alarms, like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. But I am not making this stuff up. My labor is coming not from my will. It is by God's design. You Christians might get tired of hearing me say "maybe this is it" but instead of hearing me say that, hear instead your calling to proclaim Christ in all circumstances and use your resources to reach the lost. I won't be embarrassed anymore. And you can use reminders anyway.

My life is not my own. My labor will now be a labor of prayer for your non-Christian souls. I hope you will find this amazing grace that can save a sinner like me. Like you. I once was lost but the King found me. He can find you if you let Him. I once was blind but He gave me sight. He can heal you too. 

2 comments:

  1. I have false labor too. I have "faked out" numerous OB doctors. I habe delivered 7 babies and I still cannot tell the difference between my Braxton Hicks and real labor. I can only tell when it is time to push. Just thought you might like to know there is someone else out there. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can never tell!

    ReplyDelete