My Fitness

Thursday, July 27, 2017

daily devotions

I tried to make a video about how I organize my daily devotion. It did not go well. Mostly, I am not practiced or skilled in making videos. I was aiming for about 3 minutes and it was about 20 minutes. I deleted it. It was ridiculous! You could read everything I said in that video in far less time. I might try again and then update this post with a video at the end. In the meantime, here's my run down:

You need to have a daily devotion time. It doesn't matter what you call it. If you have a special name, use that. Popular names include: Bible time, quiet time, devotional time, prayer time, and more. The idea is that it's time set aside for you and God. Some benefits of this time can be found in numerous posts online including THIS ONE from Focus on the Family, which is often a good resource.

Mine fell apart but you can order one HERE
The absolute essentials for your personal Bible time is a Bible. It can be physical or electronic or even audible. Some people benefit from journals to write down key concepts and prayers. Some people use a highlighter or pencil/pen to underline verses that seemed memorable. Some people benefit from using a devotional book to lead them through their Bible study - this can be good so you hear different perspectives that you might not have considered but it can also be bad if the source is simply wrong about what the passage means. Critical thinking and a discerning spirit are necessary to navigate which resources are good. THIS is a devotional that is emailed to you each morning. -that's extremely convenient!

Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14
I have my quiet time in the morning. I awake 30 minutes earlier than my kids so I have time to get distracted and refocused before making them breakfast. If I wait until they are awake, it won't be too quiet. It isn't necessary to do it in the morning. Some people aren't morning people. I'm not a morning person but have still found that it's more beneficial in the morning because I can then think on those things throughout the whole day. It is better to have a quiet moment with God at lunch or right before bed than to not have it at all or once a week at church. There isn't a holier time of day. You don't get more points for having it at 7am than you would at 7pm. There's no points to be had!

you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30
Whatever you decide to do, do it out of love and not a feeling of religiosity or superstition. If you choose to only read, that's ok but make sure you're not being lazy. If you choose to take notes and thoroughly study with commentaries and books, make sure you have pure motives and aren't trying to be self-righteous and superior. I have found it very helpful to write down in my outline what I have studied. I tend to be a more kinesthetic learner and will retain info that I write and can revisit longer.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16
I go through the Bible line-by-line instead of topically. Topic studies have their place when they are needed, but going through every verse of the Bible means you don't get to skip the unpleasant topics. (each person will have their own idea of which topics are unpleasant) If you go through every verse in the Bible you will cover every topic.

...but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
Start with prayer. Simply saying, "Turn my heart to you in this time and help me please you." is enough. Here's a short article on PRAYER and a BOOK that I love and helped me when I was a beginner; Stormie Omartian has other books on prayer that are beneficial to different life circumstances. My daily prayer is basic and variations on this idea: God, help me to be encouraged, convicted, and cleansed, and help me to focus on you, learn from you, and worship you. Mostly I want to worship God during this time. If I worship God, everything else will fall into place.

Start with just a paragraph, and then maybe a chapter. Depending on variables, maybe you can read an entire book. Some books are really small. There will be seasons when you completely forget to

not glamorous
have a daily quiet time for months, and times when you remember but can't figure out to make it work, and times of great growth and sweet spiritual communion. There will always be a reason to not study the Bible. I have a mountain of clothes to be put away right now, for example. But if I die tonight I will look back glad that I chose to spend time with God instead of with cleaning. Of course, I could pray and recite verses while cleaning...

Well, there are many more spiritual disciplines that I work throughout my day and week. Perhaps I will write on those in the future. I'm inconsistent and forgetful. My desire is toward God and as I grow I'm getting better at consistency. You will too: You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

From Elisabeth Elliot Quotes Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment