My Fitness

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

more details on none like him part 2

My thoughts on None Like Him by Jen Wilkin

Chapter 2 - Incomprehensible

Are you familiar with the Westminster Catechism of Faith? What is the chief end [main purpose] of man? To glorify God and enjoy him forever. Wilkin says similarly, "According to Jesus, knowing God is the fundamental aim of life." (p33) And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. John 17:3 If you've ever wondered what your purpose here on earth is, it is to glorify God in whatever you do.

But God is not completely knowable in this life. Yet we are known completely by him. "Here again we see the vast differences between God and his creatures. Because God is infinite, he is incomprehensible, unable to be fully known. Because humans are finite, we are able to be fully known. And the implications of our knowability should change the way we live." (p35) We don't even fully understand ourselves - not only each other or humanity but specifically I do not fully understand me nor do you understand you. Besides that, the Bible clearly and rightly teaches that our hearts are deceitful above all things and desperately sick (Jeremiah 17:9). This is why I always roll my eyes whenever people say to "follow your heart". Um, no. Don't do that. Al Qaeda follows their heart. They have good intentions. They think they're the good guys.

One great aspect of being completely known, is that when Christ died for our sins, he did so knowing fully what we are capable of. He is not shocked at your most horrendous sin nor is he impressed by your most righteous acts. We have nothing to prove to God. Atheists often pose the question to Christians, "What if someone does whatever they want their entire life and right before they die they become a Christian? What if Hitler used his dying breath to become a Christian? Is he still going to heaven?" The idea is that somehow these people are tricking God. "Ah ha! I lead my life however I wanted and right before I died I said "so sorry. never again." Now you have to let me into heaven!" And somehow God is sitting in heaven getting tricked into letting sinners into heaven. First, only sinners are allowed in heaven aside from God and angels. Second, God judges hearts and not actions. Death-bed conversions are possible but highly unlikely. Think of that time you were mean to someone that you just can't get over. Would you like to know that if you used your final breath to say sorry, that that person would accept your apology? Then why keep that chance from anyone else? It's my personal opinion that deathbed conversions are highly implausible even while possible.

"No, I am not an expert on my neighbor. Only God is. It may feel good to be quick to diagnose my neighbor's faults and prescribe a course of treatment, but my desperately wicked heart deceives me with the lie that I have any skill to do so. Recognizing this should help me walk in compassion toward those around me." (p38) I crossed out neighbor and wrote sister, and crossed that out and wrote brother, and crossed that out and wrote child, and crossed that out and wrote parent. "If I am fully known and not rejected by God, how much more ought I to extend grace to my neighbor, whom I know only in part?" (p39)This reminds me of the crazy parkers I referred to yesterday. It's a good lesson. It takes humility to be gracious. And if you aren't being gracious, you aren't walking in humility. If you aren't walking in humility, then you are not walking with God.

Find the giveaway HERE. Giveaway ends Wednesday. 



None Like Him: Ten Ways God is Different From Us (and why that's a good thing)
Author: Jill Wilkin
163 pages
God is self-existent, self-sufficient, eternal, immutable, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, sovereign, infinite, and incomprehensible.
We're not.
And that's a good thing.
Our limitations are by design. We were never meant to be God. But at the root of every sin is our rebellious desire to possess attributes that belong to God alone.
Calling us to embrace our limits as a means of glorifying God's limitless power, Jen Wilkin invites us to celebrate the freedom that comes when we rest in letting God be God.
#NoneLikeHim #JenWilkin  #FlyBy

No comments:

Post a Comment