My Fitness

Sunday, October 11, 2015

the biggest story

Recently I found a blog that seemed interesting called The Scarlett Thread. Scarlett was reviewing a children's Bible that I had read about on crossway.org that has endorsements from Matt Chandler (a pastor in my own community who has become a bit famous nationwide) and even Randy Alcorn! So you can imagine how excited I was when I saw Scarlett was having a giveaway! I was even more excited to receive an email from Scarlett letting me know that I won!

I never win anything. With this past couple of months being so rough on my family and me, it was especially nice to literally receive a word form God as a form of encouragement. Felipe looks back at the past couple of months and ponders if we were under a spiritual attack. I just happened to be reading through the book of Job as everything was happening - some things that we didn't even share with people, because, come on, after awhile it becomes, "really? something else?" For instance, our refrigerator stopped working. We had a back-up fridge so it wasn't a huge deal (only in America, amirite?) but as soon as the baby came it mysteriously started working again.

It's no secret that I've complained about everything, but also no secret that I never let that interfere with my praise of God and accepting whatever he sent my way. Am I to receive the good and not the bad as well? Thus it was nice to receive a good book in the mail and I look forward to reading it to my children.

This is me upon opening the package and being very excited! It looks like I'm eating it, but I am not. Just very happy:


And this is me snuggling my newborn while trying to read it...I actually didn't get to read it for another couple hours. Ah, the joys of motherhood! Always having to sacrifice my ideas for what should be happening to put kids to bed. haha! (and they didn't go to bed, they stayed up watching Star Wars with grandma and grandpa. oh well. I tried.)

As you can see the cover is exquisitely designed. I especially like the quippy name, "the snake crusher." That tells the whole gospel right there...if you know "Christianese." So kudos to whoever came up with that.

It even has a ribbon!

It reads very much like any story you would read your children. I'll be incorporating this one into either homeschool time or bedtime. I haven't decided. I don't know that it will replace my all-time favorite children's Bible, The Jesus Storybook Bible. But it seems very nice and very usable. The Jesus Storybook Bible claims to be written for children, but I find that I get just as much out of it as you may have been able to tell from previous posts. The Big Picture Story Bible is another I'd like to get my hands on. But now I'm just being greedy.

I'm so glad we live in a day where there seems to be multiple GOOD choices for children Bibles! The theology nerd in me is overjoyed, the mother in me wants to buy them all, the teacher in me wants to write a curriculum to surround each of them. Hey! The Biggest Story should have coloring pages. That'd be cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment