My Fitness

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

who is my enemy

Do you remember when someone in Luke 10 asked Jesus what he should do to inherit eternal life? The answer was to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself. But the following question was who can I get away with not loving and still be counted as a good person? Okay, the actual question was, "And who is my neighbor?" So Jesus tells the story of these good people doing bad things and a bad person doing a good thing. And he said, "Who was this man's neighbor?" And the answer was, "The man who showed mercy." Read the whole story for yourself.

So while Jewish people didn't exactly see Samaritans as "the enemy" they weren't exactly friends either. The point of the story is that Jesus wants us to go and show mercy to even people who think they're better than us, and to people who we think we're better than, and to people who are doing things wrong, and to everyone. Isn't that amazing? Even people who look down on us for not living up to their false standards.

This got me thinking about who my enemies are. Some people think of their spouse as the enemy and constantly have a power struggle between them. Some people think of their parents or in-laws as enemies. Some people see Democrats or Republicans as the enemy. Some people think very distinctly that the kid from high school who did something once is their enemy. I don't know; these are just ideas.

I can't think of anyone that I am enemies with. Sure, there's some Muslim group in the middle east who would love to kill me, but they don't even really know I exist. My death will go unnoticed by them. But while I sit here in Rural City, USA, I don't hold a target over my head and no one notices me, and I really like that. Felipe and I have joked about how our goal in life is to live below the radar. Just be boring. Well, as long as God will want that for us, we want to be boring.

I even have family on instagram who follow me and refuse to "like" pictures that I am in. They just like the pictures of my kids. They claim to love me but can't be bothered to "like" my face. lol. But even these hypocrites are not my enemies. They certainly aren't persecuting me. If not loving me the way Christ wants them to love me is the sign of an enemy, then I'm pretty sure everyone on earth would be my enemy.

My husband is certainly not my enemy, nor my children. I have plenty of friends who think I'm an idiot, and that's fine, we're mostly Americans and therefore free to have an opinion. Just because these gals think I'm dumb, doesn't make them my enemy. Sometimes I think Suddenlink is my only enemy. Other times I think my own inner monologue is my only enemy.

So often we hear, "You are your own worst enemy." which may be true for those of us sitting in our comfy sofas fighting insomnia. These verses come to mind: Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, and take every thought captive to obey Christ. And with these verses I take my sword and use it against my enemy.

It looks like this, "Lord, I pray for me. I pray that you will renew my mind. I pray that you will take these fiery darts of pride that I throw at myself for not measuring up to the standards I've set for myself and melt them away. Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. Send me your helper who will grow love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control in me and kill those shackles of pride and despair. Help me to humble myself and tell my husband that he was right and I was wrong. Help me to apologize to my children for not being better for them. Strengthen me so that I can do what you've called me to do and show me where that calling is. If I am wife and mother then enable me to those tasks through your strength. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

It means giving myself grace and mercy and realizing that while I've been a bad parent and spouse in the past that that doesn't define me. Those sins are washed away. God's mercy is new every day, and if he forgives me, then I can forgive me too.

You can forgive you.

I hope that will encourage you.

No comments:

Post a Comment