My Fitness

Friday, August 21, 2015

nehemiah

Right now I'm reading through the book of Nehemiah found in the Old Testament of the Bible. I love this story. It's one of my favorites and not just because I'm a Christian and it's in the Bible. It's just such a great story. It reads well, is exciting, and has a good ending.

Something stuck out to me this time though. Found in Nehemiah 4:17, "each labored on the work with one hand and held his weapon with the other."

This reminds me of how we as Christians need to lead our lives: with one hand on our weapon, namely the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God, the Bible.

We each are called to build the kingdom with our talents and strength and stand guard against the enemy. In the new covenant we build the kingdom by reaching out to our families and neighbors and coworkers and present the gospel and then disciple those who choose to follow. We each have different talents and abilities and can do certain steps better than others. There's no shame: one plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the growth. We are God's building. 

We are to stand guard against the enemy. And how can we do that except by putting on the full armor of God? How can we expect to win a fight against a supernatural spiritual enemy at all anyway? Our God will fight for us!

I want to emphasize how important, then, it is to read and know your Bible. Not everyone is nerdy or enjoys studying God's word. I am not good at evangelism. I still evangelize though. You can still study even though you may only be as successful at studying as I am at evangelism. That's okay. It is God who gives the growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment