My Fitness

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

groupon and the movers....(my bad experience with Groupon)

My husband and I are really big Groupon users. We have modeled our spending around what we expect Groupon is going to offer. It was really useful with our impending move to our new house to have a Groupon for Movers show up! With me being pregnant and Felipe working all the time, it seemed like a good idea to Felipe to get the Groupon.

Before I purchased I called to verify everything and get in writing what we would be charged for extra and hidden fees. In the fine print it said "DFW metroplex" and those of you from this area know that sometimes Denton county is considered in and sometimes not. It just depends on the company. Since we are moving from one Denton city to another Denton city this was very relevant information. So I wrote an email and got this reply stating that there would only be a fuel charge:

IM NOT SURE WHEN THE GROUPON EXPIRES BUT IF YOU ARE GOIN TO HAVE US MOVE YOU I CAN REDEEM THE GROUPON SO IT WONT HAVE A CHANCE TO EXPIRE. IM NOT SURE ON HOW LONG IT TAKES OUR MOVERS TO DO A MOVE BUT I KNOW THAT THEY ARE VERY GOOD AND GET THE JOB DONE ASK QUICK AS THEY CAN. THEE IS NO HIDDEN FEES. ALL WE HAVE IS A FUEL,STAIR AND HEAVY ITEM (150 LBS) FEE.

THANK YOU,
BRANDI STONE
EXPERT MOVERS,DFW,LLC


I copied/pasted that from the email verbatim. Yes, she replied in all caps. Notice that last line that says there is only a fuel, stair, and heavy item fee. I called to confirm that Denton county would be covered and Brandi stated that it was and she looked up our new city and calculated the fuel charge ($120). I gave her our exact address. She has no excuse for not knowing from where to where we were moving.

We bought the groupon which included 2 movers and a truck for 2 hours.

When I called to schedule the Movers to come, the New Lady (I didn't get her name, but not Brandi) answered the phone and said since we were in Denton County there's an AUTOMATIC 30 min fee (that comes to $47.50) attached to the final price. I asked if that meant that since we purchased 2 hours, it would have to be done in 1 and 1/2. She said that no it is an additional fee. I would have been okay if we had just less time. But she was telling me that that wasn't even an option. When I asked why this hidden fee wasn't disclosed at the beginning, she said that Brandi is "in training" and I said that perhaps they shouldn't be letting someone who is in training handle their business affairs. So instead of sticking with their original position, they decided that they are not a company of integrity and are not trustworthy and will lie and cheat to be able to get more money from you. AND GROUPON HAS DECIDED TO STICK WITH THEM.

I contacted Groupon about the above situation and here is their reply:

>>
Hi Lauren,
Sorry for any trouble with this deal.
On the original screen where you made this purchase, http://groupon.com/deals/expert-movers-dfw-9, we included a "Fine Print" section in the middle of the page just below the image. This section will always include all conditions of the deal that you should know before making your purchase.
In this case, the restriction in question is:
"Valid only within Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex."
I was able to speak with the business to confirm this, and they said they would have been very clear that Denton is outside of this area and an $80 fee would be charged. I apologize if there was any miscommunication.
I'm sorry to hear this will keep you from using your Groupon. However, since this restriction was included in the deal's Fine Print at the time of your purchase, I am not able to issue a refund past 7 days from the purchase date. Don't forget, you can always give a Groupon away as a gift (unless the Fine Print indicates otherwise) if you can't use it yourself.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can do to help.
Regards,
Taylor B.
Groupon Customer Support
>>

Groupon has decided that since The Movers lied to me, it is my fault. I figured Groupon must not understand. Even though I called and spoke with a Groupon customer service rep and explained everything, I figured she must not have passed along all the information. I re-wrote them hoping that with all the information they would come to a different position. 

Notice how Taylor says "they would have been very clear...and an $80 fee would be charged." I dislike it that Groupon is siding with such a shady company. Surely, if they knew they would not. 

Here is my reply to Taylor at Groupon:

Taylor,
I feel that you do not have all the information. If you did you would not have replied the way you did. 
Before purchasing I personally contacted the Movers and asked is they considered Sanger in Denton county part of the "DFW metroplex". If you are familiar with the Dallas area at all, you would know that some companies do consider it part while others do not. I explained this to the customer service rep I spoke to in the phone yesterday from Groupon. The lady I spoke with at the Moving company said there would only be a fuel charge. I was okay with that. When I called to schedule the move the new lady ADMITTED THE "MISTAKE" under the claim that the person I was in original contact with was "in training". She was not willing to uphold the original deal and essentially lied. Furthermore you, Taylor, are telling me that they are now charging an extra $80 whereas when I contacted them yesterday it was only $47.50. Do you see how dishonest this company is? Do you see why we are so uneasy trusting our valuables in their hands?
If you can't resolve this we will have to use them and stop using Groupon altogether. We have enjoyed our experience with you over the years and it would be a shame to have to let you go over something like this. But we can only work with companies that are trustworthy.
I will let you try to resolve this issue now that you have all the information. I would hate to have to share how unhelpful Groupon customer service has been 
Sincerely,
Lauren
>>>

We have not used the Movers yet. It would be a simple matter for Groupon to simply understand what the situation is and refund us the Groupon price. Even if they did so in the form of a gift-card that could only be used with Groupon, that would be acceptable since we use Groupon so regularly. I am very surprised at Groupon's position in this. I am a loyal customer that they are about to lose forever over one deal. I hope now that Taylor has all the information, I will be able to update this with good news.

Stay tuned...

UPDATE: Groupon IS the company I knew it was with integrity and respect. Once everything was fully explained, I received this reply:

Hi Lauren,
I'm really sorry for the trouble and miscommunication here. I've just issued a $89 refund in Groupon Bucks to your account. This credit will be available for you to use shortly, and you'll receive an email as soon as it has processed.
Groupon Bucks apply automatically to future purchases and never expire. You can see your balance in the top right corner of the page when signed into your account at www.groupon.com/mygroupons.
Thanks so much for using Groupon and please let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Regards,
Taylor B.
Groupon Customer Support

No comments:

Post a Comment