My Fitness

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

strongholds and the Sword of the Spirit (life under control - w2 d6)

Week 2 day 6 - strongholds

In 2 Corinthians 10:5 the ESV states, "...to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete." (2 Corinthians 10:5-6 ESV)

A stronghold is any argument or lofty opinion raised against God. Our battlefield is often in our minds and we take our thoughts captive. We have Self-control under the control of Christ and the Spirit.

One discipline that has helped me as well as others and is not my original idea is to memorize Scripture.  It doesn't have to be a perfect recall. If I memorize Scripture then when my mind starts to wander, it wanders to those verses I've recently memorized. When I get stressed, the Spirit reminds me of the verses I've committed to memory. The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. When facing a battle, a good soldier has His sword drawn.

I speak to myself here. I have greatly neglected Scripture memorization since getting married and having a vast number of earthly things added to my responsibility list! I make this vow to attempt to incorporate memorization into my daily schedule! It doesn't matter what verse.

Click this picture to go to the link:



[I have a terrible memory. I've heard so many self-satisfied pastors and teachers say ungodly things about no one has an excuse for not being able to memorize. I have a bad memory. Memorizing anything is difficult! But here's what I'll say, your memorization doesn't need to be perfect to be powerful. After all, it's not like we're memorizing in the original Greek or Hebrew anyway. And the chapters and verses? Not God-invented. So I don't worry about that either. In the New Testament everyone says, "it is written..." no one says, "Isaiah 55:5 says..." or whatever verse they're quoting. So if Jesus says, "it is written" then I feel that I can also say, "It is written". I think emphasizing these small details takes away from the point.]

No comments:

Post a Comment