My Fitness

Saturday, August 10, 2013

only what is right (life under control week 3 day 2)

whatever is right

As I've seen in 2 Corinthians 10:5, I need to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. Thinking on such things that are right by choice leads to thinking on right things by accident, which is a lot better than thinking of anything else by accident. Sometimes thoughts pop into my head that I cannot control and by choosing to acknowledge its goodness or badness and redirecting my thoughts always to what is right, I train myself. I discipline myself. I take those thoughts captive. I don't let my thoughts wander.

If I think on what is right, then my actions will be right. The Bible is saying that it is not enough to just do what is right. Our insides must be made clean. While we are already justified (declared or made righteous in the sight of God), we are becoming sanctified (to be pure or clean). Man looks on the outside and God looks on the inside to our hearts and motives.

In the Book of James, James writes that each is each is lured and enticed by his own desire, and that desire when conceived gives birth to sin. By training myself to think on what is right, I change my desires. When right thinking is conceived it brings life!

What is right? How can I know if what I'm thinking is right? If it leads me away from God's will, then it is not right. If it goes against Scripture, then it is not right. And on these two points, a word of caution: we don't always know God's will and we don't always understand Scripture. But in general, average thoughts are obviously right or not to the average person. Don't think about hurting people, don't think about breaking the law; think about being kind and helpful, think about serving your neighbors and family. If a fleeting thought of wrong thinking does enter your thoughts, such as when someone hurt you and how you'd like to retaliate, allow the Spirit to direct that thought to a Holy outcome, such as how you can forgive that person (forgiveness does not mean you must continue that relationship).


No comments:

Post a Comment