My Fitness

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

life under control - week 2 day 5

week 2 day 5 - SPIRITual character

Fruit of the Spirit:

Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Kindness
Self-Control

While it is true that these gifts are produced in the Spirit-filled person, it is also true that we must cultivate these traits. We reap what we sow. Sow these into your life and you will reap them as well. Sowing the Spirit means filling yourself with Him through prayer, Scripture reading, and discipline in these areas! (On a side note I don't think Paul meant that this is an exclusive list because of similar lists in other epistles. Same idea though - The Spirit is full of good things.)

Love = following the example of Christ, a good outline is found in 1 Corinthians 13. I'm taking a second to go read it now.
Joy = response to God's presence in my life. (Joy, a feeling of great pleasure and happiness)
Peace = confidence in God's power
Patience = willingness to give people time. I've often heard patience described with the addendum of "with a good attitude" - lol, I'm more patient than I once was...but I imagine this is probably my biggest failure!
Kindness = sensitivity to others' needs
Goodness = desire to do what is good. If God alone is good, then goodness will always be godly. It is never good (or "the greater good") to go against anything God has written in His Word.
Faithfulness = my commitment to keep my word.
Gentleness = compassion with others
Self-control = discipline under the Spirit

If these things just came naturally and completely when we became saved, then we would not need to be told about them. We would have been saved and instantly perfect in all our actions. We are taught how to behave and a Christian accepts the correction because the love that God has for them fills that person with Love for God's ways...which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control!


No comments:

Post a Comment