My Fitness

Sunday, August 4, 2013

life under control w2d3

Week 2 Day 3 - power through the Spirit
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses... (Acts 1:8 ESV)
We are promised to receive Christ's power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us. I often wonder if I am filled with the Spirit because I am not an overly emotional person. I, personally, dislike when people rely so much on their emotions to guide them. I've seen so many people call their emotional will-power "Holy Spirit". I fear doing the same. But I have actively seen the power of Christ in my heart and in my life. My actions reflect that I have been filled. I especially feel reconnected and empowered when I am reading the Scripture and I feel distant when I have neglected my readings.

that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19 ESV)

The Spirit gives strength so that Christ may dwell in our hearts so we will know the love of Christ and be filled with all the fullness of God. Should we join our Holy God with gluttony, sloth, envy, strife, or any vile thought in our minds or action we perform? If I am filled with the Spirit, if I am the temple of God, then I should revere God in my thoughts and actions all the way to what I eat how I maintain my body. I have faith that Christ dwells in my heart. I am filled with the knowledge of Christ. When doubts enter my mind, I need to remember that God's faithfulness is not dependent on me but on Him. He loves me. He promised to save me. My feelings and emotions betray me but my God will never betray me.

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
(Ephesians 4:30-32 ESV)

Here we see that it is possible to grieve the Holy Spirit. To keep from grieving the Spirit we must keep from all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander and malice; and instead be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving just as Christ forgave! We wish to have healthy bodies, but what is a healthy body if our mind and soul are lost? These are things I speak to myself and my soul is strengthened and empowered simply by the confession of my sin and constant need for Christ.

God has adopted me into his family. He has empowered me to be His witness. No trick of the devil can ensnare me. I belong to One who is greater than all the demons and evil that exists. I am loved. And I love my God because He loved me first.



No comments:

Post a Comment