My Fitness

Friday, August 23, 2013

contentment (life under control week 5 day 1)


ESV: 
I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
(Philippians 4:12-13 ESV)
NIV:
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

The secret: Christ is enough!

Look at the three big roots of discontentment: lust, greed, and envy. 

Lust is desiring something for self sexual gratification. Desire for God-glorifying reasons is good. We should desire intimacy with Christ, godly offspring, a happy spouse, and even a healthy sex life. But when someone focuses on sexual gratification their focus is off God and that person will turn to sex outside of God-created boundaries, whether through images, imagination, someone other than their spouse, or some other deviance. 

Greed is an intense desire for something of this world. For the Christian, greed isn't even logical. All things on this earth are going to be destroyed whether naturally or not. When someone's focus is on obtaining the best clothing, the biggest house, the best body, the newest car, or whatever else the neighbors have, their focus is once again off God. Why do that when the Christian knows that the things of God are eternal? 

Envy is feeling discontent without the possessions of another. Peace in God will eradicate envy. God blesses some with material possessions. Feelings of envy and entitlement are not from God. If one can identify these feelings and realize that he has already been blessed with far more than he deserves, perspective and gratefulness will rule in his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment