My Fitness

Sunday, July 28, 2013

life under control - day 3

Day 3 - where temptation starts

Let your eyes look directly forward,
and your gaze be straight before you.
Ponder the path of your feet;
then all your ways will be sure.
Do not swerve to the right or to the left;
turn your foot away from evil. (Proverbs 4:25-27, ESV)

You are much less likely to sin if you turn away from temptation as soon as you recognize it as sin. When I find myself getting short-tempered and impatient with my sons, I wish I would always stop instead of exacerbating the problem. Sometimes instead of getting mad at them or punishing them, I'll ask, "Do you need some kisses?" I wish I did that every time because usually they misbehave because they DO need some kisses!

With King David, if he had left his spot and stopped staring or gone to be with someone he was already married to, a lot of pain and suffering could have been averted. The lesson here is to not stare at temptation but flee it. What tempts you? Don't buy the bargain cake if you can't control yourself (I'm telling myself here). Find more verses on fleeing temptation here.

I find that going to the root, my thoughts, helps me overcome temptation. We are tempted when we are enticed by our own desires (James 1:14). So take your thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) and see him transform your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment