My Fitness

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Does God Nurse Us?

My younger son is still nursing. It's very good for him and it is instinctual at first. The older he gets, the less instinctual he becomes.

Also, he has shown interest in eating what the rest of us are eating. He might try a crumb of bread or a single grain of rice, but I can tell he just wants to tear into the steak that we grilled for ourselves!

He actually took my cup of water from me the other day with his feeble grasp and he took a sip. Now any time I'm drinking water he tries to take a sip. He loves the stuff and simply can't get enough.

And now he's playing with toys, rolling around, trying to crawl, and so many other distractions. It is getting difficult to get him to focus! In fact, today while he was nursing he kept turning away and looking at other things and then whining when he realized he wasn't getting fed...and he reminded me of me!

Does he remind you of you? When I first started drinking the milk of the gospel, I was focussed and hungry. I instinctually knew I wanted as much as I could handle. I took notes, listened to the same sermon multiple times, cross referenced verses and ideas in different translations, verified facts. You would have called me a theology nerd! The longer I was a Christian the more intense my hunger became and eventually I left the milk and tasted the meat! Just like what Micah wants to do!

But I also have found that it hasn't been as instinctual any more. I find that if I am not purposeful in setting aside time to pursue God, he falls by the wayside. I'm getting distracted by all the cool things he has given me - husband, kids, stuff. I'm losing focus.

Do you think that when we go back and forth between what God has given us and God himself, that perhaps sometimes he simply keeps himself from us until we "get serious" and take him in? This is what happens with Micah: if he gets distracted while nursing and I can't get him to focus, I stop nursing him. I give him over to his desires, whether it's looking at the picture or playing with a toy. Eventually after a minute or two, I'll let him nurse again and he's focussed because of how hungry he is.

As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? Psalms 42:1-2

O God, you are my God; Earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1

Jesus said to the, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. John 6:35


No comments:

Post a Comment