My Fitness

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Life on Purpose

I know there's a book out there with a similar title, but I've never read that book, I have no idea if it's any good, and I don't even know what it's about.

But yesterday Caleb was a bad little stinker, again. So I went to sleep thinking of ways I could adjust his schedule to bring me and him more peace. I decided that whenever he first started to stir after 7am, that's when we'd get up. So at 7:20 we purposefully got up to start the day.

We went downstairs to eat breakfast, which he threw his on the floor and watched as it went "splurt" (that's the noise it made) all over the floor. Apparently, he doesn't like bananas this morning. He wanted to eat my Cheerios. Which is fine. I used to eat with him and then read him a story from the Bible, but I decided that since his attention span is so short, I would read to him while he ate/I fed him and then I would eat.

This is Caleb's Bible:

Today we read about how the Israelites wanted a king. And God gave them a king but Saul grew distant from God. So, God chose a new king, David.

You can find the full story in 1 Samuel 16. And I did. (I've been having difficulty having any quality alone time with God since Caleb was born. Caleb is a more than full time job. And since we're doing "attachment parenting" we've made the job even harder on ourselves; but we believe this is less selfish, more natural, more God-reflecting, and with potentially better outcomes.)

I decided that whatever story I read Caleb I will go and immediately read in my ESV. I love it that the author of Caleb's Bible says that "every story whispers His name" because that is the exact purpose of the Bible - to glorify Jesus. Read what the author says about why we have the Bible:




Every story ends with a foreshadowing of Jesus. For instance, today's story ended with how God would one day send The King to rule the earth forever. It very nicely leads me to tell Caleb that that King is who? Jesus! And what do we know about Jesus? He loves us very much and died on the cross to forgive us of our sins so that if we repent we can live with him for eternity in heaven. Then we sing "Jesus Loves Me"and "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "There's Something About that Name" and whatever other songs I can think of at the time. -I should really purposefully write down some titles so I can remember some songs. Whenever I'm put on the spot I can't remember ANY!

So after our wonderful morning Bible study, we went outside to play in the backyard and then went for a walk around the neighborhood. on purpose. Why? To get him sleepy again. Or rather, to remind him that he was sleepy. I was sure to drink plenty of water and take a couple of vitamins so I'd have some milk for him. And as soon as we got home, I put Caleb to sleep 2 hours after he woke up. He's still asleep now an hour later. yay!

I am, as you might be able to tell, in the middle of changing our sheets. But that can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment