My Fitness

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Surgery


You may recall my original injury to my ACL. I remember being in rehearsal and landing on my butt. I wasn't in pain, except for my ego. My only thought was, "There goes my career." And there it went...to God be the glory! Why do I say that? Because for me, ballet was the bane of my existence, it was the idol keeping me from intimacy with Christ. Being a ballerina made me overly critical of fellow dancers and prideful of my own achievements. Ballet robbed me of affection for Christ whether I was dancing or watching others dance. This may seem ridiculous, and to some extent I'd agree...it is quite ridiculous. But know that just as some people don't drink alcohol because of alcoholism, I don't go anywhere near dancing because it is my Achilles heal. [By the way, don't ask to see any videos or pictures because I threw them away or burned them ALL. It was a constant source of consternation.]

I have a beautiful scar from the original surgery. Felipe sometimes strokes it and says how much he loves it because it represents me leaving the ballet company and coming to Texas to meet him. And we lived happily ever after.

So what happened this time? I got pregnant and I think the extra strain on my knee overstretched the ligament.

Not as exciting.

The first surgery was rather invasive and had a long recovery time. The therapists back then were amazed at how quickly I recovered but it was still awhile. This time, the surgery was not as invasive and shouldn't be as long of a recovery. We waited awhile to have the surgery because of how expensive it was going to be. But then, for some reason, I received a couple of calls from the doctors and facility saying that they either dropped the $500 charge completely (as in the case of the facility) or they were only going to only charge $56 (as in the case of my surgeon). I don't know how much the anesthesiologist is going to charge. I already have a knee brace and it looks like I won't need any physical therapy! As of September 1 I will not have any insurance. Hopefully, Felipe will get a better job that has benefits by the time I get pregnant again.

Oh! And one more big difference is that last surgery I just took the drugs the doctor ordered for me. Well, that led to nausea and hallucinations and unpleasant sleep. So this time we didn't go get the rx (short for prescription) . This time all I've taken is acetaminophen (that's Tylenol). And I feel great. It kinda feels like I went for a long jog. As long as I keep it elevated and with ice on it, acetaminophen is fine.

So that's what it's all about. Here's a pic of Caleb giving me a flower from his grandmother's flower pot:

To God be the glory in all things whether "good" or "bad". I've been really sleepy all day. I went into the surgery center at 6:30am. I was scheduled for surgery at 7:30 but at 7:50 I still hadn't been taken back and decided to take a little nap before hand. Well, the next thing I remember is them waking me after they were completely finished! The nurses told me that I just didn't remember waking up in between. After the surgery I was talking incessantly. I was so happy to have had the surgery and I told the nurses that I was going to get the a cookie cake from Great American Cookie Company. And one of the nurses was the same size as me so I'm going to give her my old scrubs. I had been planning on becoming a midwife but then Felipe turned all my plans topsy-turvy. So now I have a perfectly good set of scrubs that was only used once. I'm so happy that I have someone to give them to now. All the nurses were so good to me despite my non-stop chatter...I even told them, "Don't mind me. You do whatever you need to do and I'll just keep talking even if you're not listening." At which, they laughed. It was the medication. Once I saw Felipe he even noted how weird I was acting.

Last piece of good news for this post - all the drugs I took were completely fine for a breastfeeding mom. We tried to get the baby to take the bottle, which he has successfully done hundreds of times, but he just would not do it today. Felipe said the baby kept looking for me the entire time I was in surgery. aw! Isn't that cute?

I'm doing great, but please be praying that I continue to be doing great! I'd really appreciate it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment