My Fitness

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Our Father's Love

I was thinking yesterday about how much I love Caleb. It doesn't make any sense. He has only made my life harder. He doesn't do anything for me. Our relationship is one-way right now. I have no promise that it ever will be reciprocated either. But I love him so much and would do anything for him.


I think this is why God refers to himself as "Father". He, too, is giving us so much daily. We have nothing to offer in return that is of any value. God must get so excited for us when we discover our tongues just as I have gotten so excited when little Caleb discovered his tongue. It is not a big accomplishment, but it is the biggest accomplishment of Caleb's short life.


God doesn't refer to himself as dictator or master-chief as someone who is driven to get the most out of us no matter how we feel about it. God calls us his children and the sheep of his hand as someone who cares for another when he cannot care for himself and when he cannot reciprocate. God tells us that we were dead in our sins; dead people are not capable of doing anything. But God saved us when we didn't deserve it and when he knew we could never reciprocate.



8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9


So becoming a parent has given me new eyes to see God and be grateful. Caleb is utterly dependent on me as I am utterly dependent on God. I cannot do anything for myself. I cannot save myself. I cannot do anything to maintain my salvation. I do not even know what is best for myself. Caleb cries when I give him a bath or wash his face. I tell him to be brave and it will only last a little while. Maybe there is some cleansing going on in my life right now that I'm crying about that God wants me to be brave and endure for just a little while.


And when Caleb cannot sense my presence, he cries. This is a lesson to me. Do I feel God's presence? Do I yearn for him the way Caleb yearns for me? Caleb needs feeding every few hours. Why do I then think that I can go an entire week between feedings?


Having a child puts everything in a new perspective. And for the ones who love Jesus this new perspective is centered on him and is now more in focus. Getting married showed me much of God's character. Becoming a parent has showed me even more.


1 comment:

  1. Lauren I love this. Caleb is an adorable child, you are definitely a happy mother, and God is showing you so many new things in your life, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete