My Fitness

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Heading to the Birthing Center


Labor pains started Tuesday, May 11 around 7 am. 30 minutes apart for about 45 seconds each.

continuing through the day...around 4pm, contractions are now less than 5 minutes apart and lasting over a minute. They did not progress at all beyond that. All night they stayed with me and didn't let me get any sleep but didn't progress at all either, but by Wednesday morning they were back to half an hour for 45 seconds.

This is Felipe imitating what he thinks Caleb will look like as he's being born:

Most of the night was spent by myself:

Felipe slept. My uterus contracted. I stayed goofy to combat the discomfort and general fear involved in not knowing what's going to happen. At this point I was still having difficulty visualizing my planned water birth and my thoughts were that I would not be able to go through with my plan.

Wednesday night was just as rough and after a lengthy ordeal of not getting past the ten minute mark. Felipe got some castor oil and Thursday morning I downed it with some orange sherbet. ew.
The castor oil kicked in with me vomiting...and Felipe made me this contraption that was very comfortable.
The midwife gave us the go-ahead to make the drive to the birthing center...we stopped by Sonic for some soft ice for me and some stinky food for Felipe! Luckily, Felipe also thought to bring a trash bag.

We finally arrived at the birthing center and the midwife told us to go get some food because I hadn't eaten since Wednesday. So we went to Chick-fil-a but I couldn't keep it down.

We stayed at the center for hours and hours and never progressed past 4 cm and no effacement even with very intense contractions coming every other minute and lasting just as long...occasionally the contractions would let up. We went to a hotel hoping to stay the night. I took a warm bath which did nothing for the discomfort. I tried laying down but it was actually painful. I had some blood that scared me and we went back to the center Friday around midnight or 1am.

We stayed at the center for several hours. I progressed another cm and got nearly completely effaced and stopped progressing. Our midwife decided that since I hadn't eaten since the day before (and had thrown that up) and wasn't getting any fluids and wasn't progressing, I needed to go to the hospital before things got any more dangerous.

I was very fearful of the hospital because I had heard such horror stories about hospitals and pitocin and epidurals...I felt like a failure for not being able to go "all natural". My doctors and nurses at ETMC Tyler were wonderful. Everything went very well. Every doctor and nurse was willing to expel my fears before proceeding.

At one point, when I was getting the epidural, my doctor said, "She's already on her 6th IV?!" Yes, I went through 6 IVs. I have difficulty staying hydrated even when I'm not pregnant. You can imagine how difficult it would be to stay hydrated while in a difficult labor.

Here's before, during, and after the epidural:

Here Felipe is looking at this really cool piece of equipment that we couldn't take our eyes off of...the top bar is the baby's heart rate and the bottom bar is my contractions.

Here's my ob-gyn, Dr. Willis, and my main RN, Aleia:
Then another pic of Dr. Willis as she stitches me back up...
And my baby!

Far left is daddy and baby staring at each other. Top is daddy and baby's matching hospital bracelets, complete with heart snap. Far right is cone-head newborn (staring at daddy!). Bottom is cleaned-up newborn!

Then we had a visit from our pediatrician, Dr. Munda. She was great!
After everything was all over I only had one regret. And that was letting family in the hospital room. If I have to go back and do it again, then I would only change that. For the future though, I would change that and location. I'm hoping the next baby will be delivered at Baylor All-Saints in Fort-Worth.
This was the first picture we had of all three of us. I took it myself the following day.

Since then, our lives have been turned completely upside down. Today I finally figured out why it was so difficult. Felipe said it best, "We can't live selfishly any more." At first, I was single. I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Then I got married. I had to share things with Felipe and learn how to communicate with him. We had to both give up things so to make the other person happy. And now, I have given up my figure, my sleep, my eating habits, my hobbies, my relationships, my emotions for Caleb. And I don't want to have to share with Felipe. But I love Felipe more than I love Caleb. Felipe has been very helpful and understanding. I've done a lot of apologizing. The lack of sleep is the worst, I think, because it drives the others. When I don't get sleep, I get cranky.

Being a parent is frustrating. Felipe said the other day that whenever Caleb gets cranky and cries for no apparent reason (ie when he's eating and suddenly stops and cries because he's so hungry instead of continuing to eat) he thinks about how God must feel with us. We do irrational things instead of just following what God wants us to do. We are completely dependent on God for our nutrition and welfare. Without him interceding completely, we would die. Caleb is completely dependent on us to feed, change, burp, clothe, clean etc. And he requires constant care. It makes me cry that I care for him so much. I cry when he cries. I laugh when he laughs. I want to see him happy. Sometimes it means I make him do things he doesn't want to do (take a bath) because I know that he will be happier after going through the pain of getting wet and cold.

In my thoughts (although I'm not sure if in actual practice), this makes me more enduring of trials because I know that although it seems painful and perhaps even "bad" it is intended for my good. God gives baths too.

1 comment: