My Fitness

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Beauty in Our Yard

We have a nice apartment. It's cheap. And it needs much work. But behind the yard is a wild field. And it is full of flowers for me to take pictures!

And of course, this reminds me of a Bible Passage...how can looking at God's creation not remind one of God?!

The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever.

Isaiah 40:8

Our backyard is beautiful. But like everything else on earth, it will not remain. Jesus is the only thing that matters. For those of us who know that Jesus is God, our life has meaning. We are here to glorify God and enjoy him forever. His creation glorifies him and I enjoy God through his creation. In the first chapter of John, Jesus is depicted as being with God in the beginning and the means by which God created everything that exists. God the Father glorifies the Son and honors him above all creation. The Son glorifies the Father and the Spirit as equals and all are somehow a Trinity Godhead. We are told that God is One. And we can see that God reveres his Son as God and even calls Jesus God. Through several passages we can see the Holy Spirit revered as God too; both in baptism, when Jesus is baptized and when Jesus tells us to baptize.

Whenever I refer to Jesus, I know I'm talking about God. And whenever I talk about God, I know Jesus is included there. When I talk to Caleb about Jesus and verses like Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord, I explain what "Christ Jesus our Lord" means.

Christ means Messiah; he is our Savior. We can only acknowledge a Savior if we are in need of saving. What are we in need of saving from? We are in need of saving from our sin. Even little Caleb's heart is not right before God. It is not in deed or action that drives us away from God. It is the state of our heart. Our hearts are not God-centered. This is what sin is. Sin is the state of being away from God. But God has been gracious and has sent us a way to be reconciled to himself, namely Jesus.

Jesus is in reference to the man Jesus who is also the God-head Jesus. So far we have a need of saving, a Savior, and a name for that Savior. We can believe all this but unless we then make him Lord of our lives it is just a belief in a historical figure like Nostradamus or Galileo. But when you add that one must submit to God, that changes one's life. I can live my entire life believing in some "higher consciousness" but if he just remains "out there" and never comes to reign in one's daily life, then that higher consciousness could be Buddha, or a Ouija Board, or a fortune cookie.

Only once you acknowledge that the Jesus of the Bible is God and submit to his design for your life will you receive that peace that passes understanding. You could be baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, episcopalian, or some other denomination of Christianity and still not believe in the God of the Bible. I think the litmus test sounds something like this: do I believe what the Bible says, or do I say "If the Bible doesn't mean what I think it means, then I can't believe in that God."

The beauty of God is in more than his creation. Although his creation is beautiful, God is more than his creation. He invites us to live with him and his beauty forever. There isn't anything we need to do to obtain our state. Nothing we need to continue to do to maintain our state once there. It is all Jesus. Anything more than just Jesus is more than God has established.

No comments:

Post a Comment