My Fitness

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Caleb's room

I'm really excited about baby Caleb's new room! For his first month or so he'll be beside our bed. But whenever he's ready, he'll have a whole room to himself!

I've been thinking of themes for the room, and my husband and I decided on a Calvin and Hobbes themed room. As you may know, Bill Watterson, the creator, has not released any rights for C&H. But from what I can tell, he doesn't mind if people make their own C&H paraphernalia for their own use, as long as they don't sell it for profit.

Some of the things I'm hoping to be able to put in Caleb's room is a quilt with this picture:



I'm also planning on putting that print on a onesie-creeper to bring him home from the birthing center in! As soon as I finish it, I'll post a picture...and then another of him wearing it!

I'm also hoping to make some 3D wall pictures of images like this classic image:



And also of this one:



I'm also hoping for a Hobbes stuffed tiger. I've found a site dedicated to C&H and there were several pics of stuffed tigers. So, now that I know it's possible, I'm going to try to make one myself.

The "real" Hobbes doll:


The "stuffed" Hobbes doll:

I've seen a crocheted Hobbes doll. But my crochet skills are just not that good.

I want to make a set of towels. One with Calvin on it and "His" for my husband, one with Susie on it and "Hers" for me, and one with Hobbes on it and "baby's" for Caleb! One of Felipe and my favorite picture sets are where Susie and Calvin are having a snowball fight. Such young flirtation!

I like the idea of sharing the original John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes with baby Caleb with photos like these:



I have a lot of ideas and as soon as I complete them, there will be posts!

Felipe has also requested a onesie-creeper with the little kid from "Where the Wild Things Are" on it. I can't find that book, so I'll have to go buy a copy. But we agree that baby Caleb's library just won't be complete without it!

Some other fun "toy" ideas we have for when "Baby Caleb" becomes "Little Caleb" are the marble Racer, the DNA strand building kit and the microscope. Can you tell I was a biology major? We found these items at Toys R Us, so we shouldn't have any problem finding them again in a few years!

The Marble Racer:


The DNA strand kit:


The Microscope!


The only other project I'm working on right now is almost top-secret. But I will let you know when it's complete. Don't hold your breath though because it's a year-long project! I'm hoping to finish it in a fraction of that time though. I will give you a hint - it has to do with a box of prayers and verses. I have to wait for Caleb to be born so I can get a proper picture though. I tried to use his sonogram photo and it just was terrible. So, I can do everything except that part before he's born. Hopefully!

Any Calvin and Hobbes suggestions? leave them in a comment or send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment