My Fitness

Monday, January 25, 2010

Today's Journey to the Midwife!

Today my husband and I had subs in the classroom while we took our monthly trip to Tyler to visit our midwife.

This is what I look like just days ago:



My husband is so encouraging because I see "fat" and he sees "baby"!

Driving up to the Labor of Love birthing center in Tyler, TX:



Our welcoming crew!



One of the birthing rooms:



Vicky, our midwife!



Taking measurements and checking out the baby:



Everything is good!

Here's a short video (25sec) of Vicky finding the baby's heartbeat that my husband recorded!

video

Good job, sweetheart! Thanks for the video! (I didn't even ask him to do it!)

Here's that great man opening the car door for me!



Here's our midwife's information. Feel free to call her just for some informative literature:



Find them online here!

We've decided to go with a more traditional midwife instead of the alternative in-hospital ob-gyn. There were several factors to us deciding this route. Initially, I had been introduced to midwifery when I was a teenager and a lady I knew used a midwife and had her children at home. One of her baby's head was even stuck but the midwife was so knowledgeable and specialized in natural births that she was able to maneuver the baby out without even having to break the baby's collarbone or needing to rush to the surgery room.

You may be thinking of infant mortality rates when using a midwife. One video that my husband and I watched called The Business of Being Born spoke about how most countries (developed and developing) use midwives. I confirmed this with my over-seas aunt who said that she never used a doctor until she had one of her four children in the US. Only the USA specializes in ob-gyns. You might consider that the US has the best mortality rates, but according to the CIA World Factbook, the US doesn't even make the top 25%!

It seems even Oprah is jumping on the new US, midwife bandwagon.

I don't want to try to convince you beyond that, but I will mention one or two more things. Watch the videos, do the research, you can ask your US doctor, but chances are they will be rather biased. Most US doctors are skilled in emergency births, and as such, are prone to see emergencies everywhere. How is it that so many other countries don't need so many cesarian sections? Is it just that their women are somehow better evolved than ours?

For one things, consider the mechanism of reaction for pitocin. According to childbirth.org, with pitocin " fetal distress is more common" and that's because the artificial hormone causes the contractions to become harder and more regular. This may sound like a good thing, but the body inherently knows how hard to push to deliver its own baby (with some exceptions, but not as many as you're thinking). Because pitocin causes labor to be more harsh than God intended, many complications do occur that your doctor should be there to handle. But if your doctor hadn't given you that drug, you wouldn't have needed him/her...or the epeideral. It becomes cyclical. The doctor is on a time schedule and isn't there the entire time like a midwife would be. He wants the baby to come on his time and so gives pitocin (maybe he thinks he doesn't want this woman to suffer and wants the labor to go faster for her). The pitocin makes labor so much more painful that she needs an epideral. One of the side effects of the epideral is prolonged labor necessitating more pitocin...

Whatever you choose or think you wife should choose, make sure you are educated. This little blog post shouldn't be enough to convince you of anything. But I thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. You have an adorable baby bump Lauren. :)

    And I'm really enjoying your blog. Looking forward to more from you. :)

    ReplyDelete